By Merve Aydogan
ANKARA (AA) – The fiancée of missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi has publicly pleaded for help from the U.S. president and first lady to clear up the circumstances of his disappearance.
Hatice Cengiz made the plea late Tuesday in The Washington Post, the paper Khashoggi wrote for before he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, after which he has not been seen again.
"This much is true: He entered the consulate, and there’s no proof that he came out," wrote Cengiz.
"At this time, I implore President Trump and first lady Melania Trump to help shed light on Jamal’s disappearance. I also urge Saudi Arabia, especially King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to show the same level of sensitivity and release CCTV footage from the consulate," she added.
Telling how she and Khashoggi were planning a wedding and that he went to the consulate specifically to arrange for this, Cengiz said she did not suspect any harm could be done to him at a diplomatic mission as this would be "a violation of international law to harm, arrest or detain people."
After waiting for him for three hours outside the consulate building, and hearing nothing, Cengiz stressed she "was overcome with fear and concern."
"I texted a few friends to inform them, and I asked about Jamal at the consular building. I received an answer that further fueled my fears: Jamal had already left, they told me, possibly without my noticing," she wrote.
She praised the efforts of Turkish authorities, saying: "I’ve witnessed the work of the Turkish authorities as they monitor the situation closely. I am confident in the abilities of Turkish government officials."
According to Turkish police, while Khashoggi was inside, 15 Saudis, including several officials, arrived in Istanbul on two planes and entered the consulate.
Istanbul prosecutors are investigating the incident, while the consulate said on Twitter that it was working in coordination with Turkish authorities.
Turkey on Monday conveyed its expectation of "full cooperation" from Saudi Arabia in the search for the missing journalist.
Saudi Arabia on Tuesday invited Turkish experts and relevant officials to visit the consulate, according to diplomatic sources.