UPDATE – No external cause in SE Turkey blast: Defense chief

UPDATES WITH FURTHER DETAILS

By Sarp Ozer

ANKARA (AA) – Initial investigation of a deadly blast last week in southeastern Turkey showed that there was no external cause behind the incident, said Turkey's defense minister on Monday.

At least seven Turkish soldiers were martyred and 25 injured in the ammunition depot explosion in the Hakkari province on Friday.

"There is absolutely no external cause for this accident," said Hulusi Akar, speaking to Anadolu Agency at Gulhane Training and Research Hospital in Ankara.

The defense minister was visiting soldiers wounded in the blast and brought to the capital for treatment.

Akar said that preliminary findings showed that flames caused by high pressure behind a barrel caused the blast.

Stating that the wounded soldiers are responding to treatment, Akar said that investigations continue to shed light on the blast.

Turning to the fight against terrorism, Akar said that the fight continues in Turkey, northern Iraq, and other regions with “intense determination.”

ALATURKA AİLESİ ÜYELERİ NE DİYOR?