UPDATE 2 – Powerful earthquake strikes southern Philippines

UPDATES WITH DETAILS

By S.Ahmet Aytac, Fuat Kabakci and Nicky Aulia Widadio

ANKARA/ BEIJING/ JAKARTA (AA) – A major 7-magnitude earthquake rattled the southern Philippine island of Mindanao early Saturday, according to reports.

The quake struck southeast of Davao City at a depth of 59 kilometers (36 miles), according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

The USGS first said the magnitude of the quake was 6.9 but later revised it to 7.

No initial causalities or damage was reported.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a tsunami warning for parts of the Philippines and Indonesia. But later, the center said that the tsunami alert was withdrawn.

"People in the Sangihe and Talaud Islands are encouraged to remain calm […] because this earthquake has no potential for a tsunami in the territory of Indonesia," Rahmat Triyono, the head of Indonesia’s Earthquake and Tsunami Center, said in a statement.

In 2013, at least 144 people died when a 7.2 magnitude quake hit the Philippines.

Endonezya'da Soputan Yanardağı faaliyete geçti

CAKARTA (AA) – Endonezya'da Sulawesi Adası'ndaki Soputan Yanardağı faaliyete geçti.

Ulusal Afet Yönetim Ajansı (BNPB) Sözcüsü Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, yaptığı açıklamada, adanın Kuzey Sulawesi eyaletinde yer alan Soputan Yanardağı'nda meydana gelen patlamalarda, yanardağdan püsküren kül ve dumanın 3 bin metreye kadar ulaştığını belirtti.

Bölge civarında yaşayan halkın şu an için tahliyesine gerek olmadığını aktaran Nugroho, krateri çevreleyen 4 kilometrelik alanda faaliyette bulunulmaması uyarısında bulundu.

Öte yandan yanardağdan çıkan kül ve dumanın, bölgedeki uçuşlar için bir engel taşımadığı bildirildi.

"Pasifik Ateş Çemberi" deprem ve volkan kuşağındaki Endonezya'da 130 aktif yanardağ bulunuyor.

Indonesia lifts state of emergency for quake-hit island

Erric Permana

JAKARTA (AA) – Indonesian government on Friday lifted the state of emergency for the central Sulawesi province, imposed in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami in the island.

On Sept. 29, the government declared state of emergency for the island after a 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck Sulawesi Island, which triggered a tsunami in the cities of Donggala and Palu that towered up to 10 feet (3 meters) high.

Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto, who goes by only one name, said that after the emergency response period ended, the affected areas would enter the transition phase into the rehabilitation and reconstruction.

"All of these phases will be the responsibility of the regional government," Wiranto said in his office on Thursday.

Previously, the government announced that the state of emergency would end on Oct. 11, but extended it for two weeks, citing the ongoing emergency response activities, he added.

Meanwhile, Wiranto ensured that the central government will continue to provide assistance.

"The central government will continue to support [the regional government], whether through National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), the central assistance team that I formed, or through a task force," he explained.

Wiranto said he would go to Palu today to hold a joint meeting with the regional government.

The minister will coordinate with the regional government over some ongoing aid activities, including temporary shelter constructions, the return of refugees, the life insurance for affected people and education for children.

Wiranto said the construction of water wells is also among the works still continue.

"So far, we have opened 22 wells, others are still being drilled," he said.

On the issue of education for children affected by the disaster, the government decided to build a school tent that could accommodate the students.

Nevertheless, Wiranto admitted that the learning and teaching activities had not been fully recovered because children were still traumatized by the disaster.

The government, through the Ministry of Education, will issue a ministerial regulation that organizes a special treatment to prepare the affected students for the upcoming exams.

"For those who are affected by the disaster, schools must accept every student unconditionally," Wiranto said.

He also ensured that the government would continue to provide health care for the victims.

The government is verifying the victims and validating their data so that they could receive medical aid and treatment.

As of Sunday, 2,256 people were killed and 223,751 displaced by the disaster, National Disaster Management Agency reported.

Endonezya'da deprem bölgesi dezenfekte ediliyor

CAKARTA (AA) – Endonezya'nın Sulawesi Adası'nda 28 Eylül'de meydana gelen deprem ve ardından oluşan tsunamide cesetlerin çıkarılamadığı bölgelerde dezenfeksiyon çalışması yapılıyor.

Ulusal Afet Ajansı Yönetimi (BNPB) Sözcüsü Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, depremde büyük yıkımın yaşandığı ve cesetlerin çıkarılamadığı Petobo, Balaroa ve Jono Oge bölgelerinde helikopterle dezenfeksiyon çalışmasının başlatıldığını duyurdu.

Nugroho, binlerce evin yıkıldığı bu alanlarda arama ve kurtarma çalışmalarında cesetlerin büyük bölümünün çıkarılamadığını ifade ederek olası hastalık riskinin önüne geçilmeye çalışıldığını söyledi.

– Enkaz altında binlerce kişi olabilir

Yetkililer, bölgedeki ölü sayısının 2 bin 103'e çıktığını açıklamış, arama kurtarma çalışmaları 12 Ekim'de sona ermişti.

Büyük yıkımın yaşandığı bölgeler için net bir sayı verilmese de binlerce kişinin enkaz altında olduğu tahmin ediliyor.

Petobo, Balaroa ve Jono Oge bölgelerinin toplu anıt mezarlara dönüştürülmesinin planlandığı bildirilmişti.

Bu arada gönüllüler ve kayıp yakınlarının arama çalışmaları devam ederken, bölge için ilan edilen acil durum 26 Ekim'e kadar uzatılmıştı.

– 7,5 büyüklüğündeki deprem

ABD Jeolojik Araştırmalar Kurumu (USGS), 28 Eylül'de Endonezya'nın kuzeyindeki Sulawesi Adası'nda Palu Körfezi'nin 27 kilometre kuzeyinde 7,5 büyüklüğünde deprem meydana geldiğini açıklamıştı.

Depremin ardından Dongala ve Palu kentlerini, yüksekliği 6 metreye ulaşan tsunami dalgaları vurmuştu.

Endonezya'da Lombok Adası'nda da temmuz sonu ve ağustos ayında 6,3 ve 6,9 ile 7 büyüklüğünde depremler yaşanmış, 450 binden fazla kişiyi etkileyen depremlerde 563 kişi hayatını kaybetmişti.

"Pasifik Ateş Çemberi" olarak adlandırılan, deprem ve volkan kuşağında yer alan Endonezya'da 26 Aralık 2004'te 9,1 büyüklüğündeki deprem ve ardından oluşan tsunami sonucu bölgedeki diğer ülkeleri de kapsayan geniş bir alanda 230 bin kişi ölmüştü.

Death toll in Indonesia quake rises to 2,091

By Mahmut Atanur

JAKARTA (AA) – The death toll in the earthquake and tsunami that struck Indonesia last month has risen to 2,091, officials said on Sunday.

The region has felt 534 aftershocks since the Sept. 28 disaster, said officials of the central Sulawesi state.

Some 80,000 people displaced by the disaster have been provided with tents, food, and water, they added.

Separately, during an annual meeting in Bali with the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank said it is offering the Indonesian government up to $1 billion in standby loans to renovate quake-hit islands.

Last month, a 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck Sulawesi Island, triggering a tsunami in the cities of Donggala and Palu that towered up to 10 feet (three meters) high.

Soil liquefaction leaves Indonesian island in ruins

By Muhammad Latief

JAKARTA (AA) – Nearly two weeks after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck the city of Palu and its surrounding areas in Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, the death toll has risen over 2,000.

The quakes, followed by liquefaction, left Central Sulawesi in ruins, especially Palu, which was hit by tsunami waves as high as seven meters. Satellite data showed over 3,000 buildings were destroyed.
Experts concluded that the high number of fatalities and massive damage were caused by combination of several factors, such as a vulnerable spatial plan, lack of public education about disaster response and failure of early-warning detection systems.
Head of the Information Data and Public Relation Center of the National Agency for Disaster Management, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said that around 5,000 people are feared to be buried under debris in Balaroa and Petobo regions.
They were living in 1,445 housing units in Balaroa and 2,000 housing units in Petobo. After severe multiple quakes, these neighborhoods were essentially wiped off the map.
This phenomenon, causing most of the damage, is known as liquefaction, when the soil loses its strength to support structures due to a sudden stress such as an earthquake.
The ground lost its strength and turned into mush and created mud which moved like quicksand and squeezed the water. As the water pressure got built, the land moved and buildings sank into the land.
The tsunami hit the city as hundreds of people gathered on Talise Beach for the 40th anniversary of Palu.
Officials had estimated that about 50 people could be trapped under the rubble of the collapsed eight-storey Roa-Roa Hotel. Evacuations have been carried out in other buildings such as the Sa Hotel, the Mercure Hotel and the Tatura Mall.
But due to many obstacles, the government is considering designating liquefaction areas as mass graves. This measure is considered the best option to avoid wider environmental and health problems.

– Learning from Palu quake Palu is located on the Palu-Koro fault, which runs across Sulawesi Island. The head of the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI)’s Geotechnology Research Center Eko Yulianto told Anadolu Agency that geologists paid great attention to the faults since they had been very active.
Data from the Geological Agency show that Palu is located at the junction of the world's three main tectonic plates — Indo-Australian, Pacific and Eurasian.
According to experts from LIPI, the natural phenomenon in Palu needs more attention due to the mechanism of the horizontal fault structure movement.
LIPI also mentioned a possibility that faults on the Koro Hammer had a vertical deformation component on the seabed which triggered the tsunami.
"Lessons learned. We need more thorough geo-scientific data in order to assess the earthquakes potential that occur under the ocean," Yulianto said.
A joint Indonesian-Japanese team revealed that the tsunami came ashore about 10 minutes after the earthquake, but people did not have enough time to evacuate.
The Geological Agency actually had warned about the possibility of a tsunami and the dangers of liquefaction in Palu.
Risna Widyaningrum, a researcher from the Geology Agency who also spoke to Anadolu Agency, named several areas with high liquefaction risk: Kalukubula, Birobuli, Tatura, Sunju, Tatura, Lolu, Kawatuna, Lere and South Birobuli.
Widyaningrum said that areas with high liquefaction risk should not be designated for residential, industrial and other vital buildings, adding that buildings in such areas must meet safety standards.
The researchers also suggested that the coastal city of Palu should be uninhabited.

Endonezya’daki depremde ölü sayısı artıyor

CAKARTA (AA) – Endonezya’nın Sulawesi Adası’ndaki deprem ve tsunamide yaşamını yitirenlerin sayısı 2 bin 88’e çıktı.

Bölgedeki askeri yetkililer, 28 Eylül'de meydana gelen deprem ve tsunamide ölü sayısının 2 bin 88’e yükseldiğini açıkladı.

Yetkililer, arama kurtarma çalışmalarının bugün sona erdiğini ve bölge için verilen acil durumun yerel idare tarafından 26 Ekim’e kadar uzatıldığını duyurdu.

Felaketin ardından 680 kişinin kayıp olduğunu belirten yetkililer, tedavi gören yaralı sayının da 4 bin 612 olduğunu bildirdi.

Ulusal Afet Ajansı Yönetimi (BNPB), arama çalışmalarının sonlanmasına rağmen gönüllülerin ve kayıp yakınlarının sürdürdüğü arama çalışmalarına müsaade edildiğini ve acil durumun ay sonuna kadar devam edeceğini bildirmişti.

Öte yandan Bali’de düzenlenen Uluslararası Para Fonu – Dünya Bankası toplantıları için Endonezya’ya gelen Birleşmiş Milletler (BM) Genel Sekreteri Antonio Guterres bugün deprem bölgesine ziyarette bulundu.

ABD Jeolojik Araştırmalar Kurumu (USGS), 28 Eylül'de Endonezya'nın kuzeyindeki Sulawesi Adası'nda Palu Körfezi'nin 27 kilometre kuzeyinde 7,5 büyüklüğünde deprem meydana geldiğini açıklamıştı.

Depremin ardından Dongala ve Palu kentlerini, yüksekliği 3 ila 6 metreye ulaşan tsunami dalgaları vurmuştu.

"Pasifik Ateş Çemberi" olarak adlandırılan, deprem ve volkan kuşağında yer alan Endonezya'da 26 Aralık 2004'te 9,1 büyüklüğündeki deprem ve ardından oluşan tsunami sonucu bölgedeki diğer ülkeleri de kapsayan geniş bir alanda 230 bin kişi ölmüştü.

Endonezya'daki depremde can kaybı artıyor

CAKARTA (AA) – Endonezya'nın Sulawesi Adası'ndaki deprem ve tsunamide yaşamını yitirenlerin sayısı 2 bin 65'e yükseldi.


Republika gazetesinin haberine göre, bölgedeki askeri yetkililer, 28 Eylül'de meydana gelen deprem ve ardından oluşan tsunamide ölü sayısının 2 bin 65'e yükseldiğini açıkladı.

Yetkililer, deprem ve tsunami sonrası ailelerden gelen bildirimler üzerine 680 kişinin de kayıp olduğu bilgisini paylaştı.

Bölgede resmi olarak yürütülen arama kurtarma çalışmalarının bugün son ereceğini belirten yetkililer, gönüllüler ve kayıpların aile yakınlarının arama çalışmalarının devam edebileceğini ve bölgedeki acil durum çalışmalarının da ay sonuna kadar süreceğini ifade etti.

Endonezya Ulusal Afet Yönetim Ajansı (BNPB) Sözcüsü Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, şu ana kadar bölgede 82 bin 775 kişinin yer değiştirdiğini ve 67 bin 310 yapının da zarar gördüğünü açıklamıştı.

ABD Jeolojik Araştırmalar Kurumu (USGS), 28 Eylül'de Endonezya'nın kuzeyindeki Sulawesi Adası'nda Palu Körfezi'nin 27 kilometre kuzeyinde 7,5 büyüklüğünde deprem meydana geldiğini açıklamıştı.



Depremin ardından Dongala ve Palu kentlerini, yüksekliği 3 ila 6 metreye ulaşan tsunami dalgaları vurmuştu.



"Pasifik Ateş Çemberi" olarak adlandırılan, deprem ve volkan kuşağında yer alan Endonezya'da 26 Aralık 2004'te 9,1 büyüklüğündeki deprem ve ardından oluşan tsunami sonucu bölgedeki diğer ülkeleri de kapsayan geniş bir alanda 230 bin kişi ölmüştü.

Indonesia: Turkish planes carrying aid arrives in Palu

By Pizaro Gozali

JAKARTA (AA) – Two Turkish C-130 cargo planes, carrying relief aid for the people affected by earthquake and tsunami, arrived in the Indonesian city of Palu, Central Sulawesi, on Tuesday night.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Turkish Red Crescent said the aid included 1,000 sleeping bags and 250 tents for the victims.

The planes also brought three volunteers of Turkish Red Crescent and two staffers of Turkish Emergency and Disaster Management Authority (AFAD). Both institutions will work together to distribute the aid.

Previously, the Turkish Red Crescent sent $10,000 worth of assistance to the victims.

"The assistance was handed over to the Indonesian Red Cross for emergency needs," Ali Akgul, the Turkish Red Crescent representative in Palu, told Anadolu Agency.

Indonesia: Death toll rises to 1,571 in a week

By Hayati Nupus

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AA) – The National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) on Friday said the death toll from the 7.4-magnitude earthquake and tsunami that hit Indonesia's Sulawesi Island last week has risen to 1,571.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, an agency spokesperson, said 144 bodies were found in Donggala, 1,352 in Palu, 62 in Sigi, 12 people in Parigi Moutong, and one person in Pasangkayu of West Sulawesi.

"It is estimated there are still many victims buried under debris, the joint evacuation team continues to search," Nugroho said in the capital Jakarta.

He said the victims were trapped especially in Petobo, the area affected by the liquefaction.

Nugroho said 1,551 bodies were buried in mass graves at Poboyo, Pantoloan, as well as family cemeteries.

He also noted that there were 2,549 people who suffer from serious injuries and are currently being treated in hospitals.

Meanwhile, 113 people still remain missing and 152 still trapped under the rubble, while 70,821 are displaced — scattered in 141 points.

Nugroho said a total of 66,238 houses were damaged, 65,733 of which were located in Central Sulawesi and 505 in West Sulawesi.

He said that based on disaster management guidelines, the joint evacuation team would explore the location and seek victims for a week. If needed, the period would be extended to 10 days.

The search and rescue team will continue to look for victims but with less personnel following the 10-day period, he added.

The disaster in Central Sulawesi could be Indonesia’s second-largest tragedy after the 2004 Aceh tsunami that killed more than 170,000 people.