By Rafiu Ajakaye
LAGOS, Nigeria (AA) – At least 76 Boko Haram militants were killed as Nigerian troops thwarted an attack in the restive northeast region, an official said on Thursday.
John Agim, defense spokesman in capital Abuja, told Anadolu Agency that militants launched an attack on the troops in Metele area of northeastern Borno state, seemingly the last stronghold of the insurgency now in its tenth year.
“Our men in the 157th Battalion had an encounter with the Boko Haram terrorists earlier this week. The troops overpowered the terrorists with superior firepower and killed 76 of them while dozens others escaped.
“Sadly, we lost seven of our gallant [soldiers] in the attack while 16 others sustained injuries and are being given adequate medical attention,” he said.