Missing Saudi journalist sparks backlash from US

By Kasim Ileri

WASHINGTON (AA) – The alleged murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside a Saudi consulate building in Istanbul has drawn backlash from the United States.

The journalist and regular columnist in the Washington Post has been missing since he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

A Reuters report on Saturday said that Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate building after being detained for several days. Journalists and authorities alike in the U.S. have spoken against Saudi actions.

Khashoggi is known to have been critical of the Saudi domestic and foreign policies.

Washington Post editorial page editor and colleague of Khashoggi, Fred Hiatt said that if it had indeed occurred, the murder was a “monstrous and unfathomable act".

U.S. Senator and Foreign Relations Committee member Chris Murphy tweeted that if true, the killing should represent a “fundamental break” in U.S.-Saudi relations.

Murphy had previously demanded the Saudi government “provide an answer” on the whereabouts of Khashoggi.

Turkish police investigating the case had said in a statement yesterday that 15 Saudis, including several officials, arrived in Istanbul on two planes and visited the consulate while Khashoggi was inside.

The Turkish police in Istanbul has been keeping an eye on the entry and exits at the Saudi Consulate since the time, Khashoggi entered the building, his fiancée said.

The Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office in Istanbul initiated an investigation on the day of the incident while the consulate also said on Twitter that it was working in coordination with Turkish authorities.

Advertisements

ALATURKA AİLESİ ÜYELERİ NE DİYOR?