Lebanon confirms first death from COVID-19

Alaturka Amerika ABD Haberleri

By Mahmut Geldi

BEIRUT (AA) – The first death from novel coronavirus has been reported in Lebanon, according to the country's top health official.

The Lebanese citizen had been found to be infected five days after returning from a trip to Egypt, Lebanese Health Minister Hamad Hassan told state television.

Separately, Lebanese authorities announced Monday that the number of those diagnosed with the disease rose to 41.

Beirut's Rafic Hariri State Hospital announced that it found nine new cases of the fatal virus.

The hospital added that out of 122 tests recently carried out, only nine people tested positive.

The global death toll from the coronavirus has reached 4,027, with more than 114,000 confirmed cases.

According to Worldometer, a website which compiles new case numbers, the coronavirus has spread to more than 115 countries and territories, including 7,513 in South Korea, 9,172 in Italy, 7,161 in Iran, 530 in Japan, 1,412 in France, 729 in the U.S. and 321 in the U.K.

As part of efforts to contain the outbreak, governments have closed borders and suspended land and air travel with the worst-hit countries.

In a Monday press briefing, World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom said with coronavirus present in so many countries, the threat of a pandemic had "become very real."

* Writing by Zehra Nur Duz

Reklamlar

ALATURKA AİLESİ ÜYELERİ NE DİYOR?