By Godfrey Olukya
ARU, Democratic Republic of Congo (AA) – At least 34 people have died from the latest outbreak of Ebola in North Kivu province of Democratic Republic of Congo, officials said.
On August 1, the Ministry of Health declared the 10th Ebola outbreak, just a few days after the World Health Organization (WHO) and the ministry announced that the 9th outbreak had been successfully eliminated.
Dr. Peter Lengu, a ministry official, said most of the deaths from Ebola hemorrhagic fever have taken place in the villages of Mabalako and Mangina Magina in North Kivu.
“Teams of health workers from the WHO and the Ministry of Health are on the ground to treat the victims and immunize people in the villages, where the epidemic has been reported,” Lengu told Anadolu Agency.
In North Kivu, he said 43 cases are currently being attended, of which, there are 16 confirmed and 27 probable cases of Ebola infection.
In the past, dozens of people were killed by the disease in the central African country.