Turkey arrests suspect of 2013 Reyhanli bombing case

By Zafer Fatih Beyaz and Tanju Ozkaya

ANKARA (AA) – Security forces on Friday arrested a suspect linked to the 2013 Reyhanli bombing in Turkey’s southern Hatay province.

Hasan Kabakulak played a role in the deadly terrorist attack by the key plotter Yusuf Nazik, who had confessed to planning and organizing the bombing after being captured in Syria last month by the Turkish intelligence.

Kabakulak was among three other suspects — who were released after providing their statements — detained by the police.

The May 2013 bombings in the Reyhanli district, near Turkey’s border with Syria, left 53 dead. Some 912 buildings, 891 workplaces, and 148 vehicles were also heavily damaged in the attack.

8 suspects being sought in 2013 Turkey bombing

By Ilkay Guder

ANKARA (AA) – Spurred by testimony from a key plotter in a deadly 2013 double car bombing, Turkish security forces are now seeking out eight suspects, according to judicial sources.

Ankara prosecutors issued warrants for the suspects, including one identified as Mehmet Gezer, said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.

According to the testimony of Yusuf Nazik, Gezer played a key role in the bombing, the sources added.

Arrested by Turkish intelligence in the Syrian port city of Latakia on Sept. 12, Nazik, 34, has confessed to playing a role in the deadly bombing in the town of Reyhanli in Hatay, southern Turkey which killed 53 people.

Nazik is now being interrogated by security and intelligence teams in the capital Ankara.

The May 2013 bombings in Reyhanli, near Turkey’s border with Syria, left 53 dead.

Some 912 buildings, 891 workplaces, and 148 vehicles were also heavily damaged in the attack.

UPDATE – Turkey nabs key suspect of 2013 Reyhanli attack

UPDATES WITH DETAILS

By Hasan Oymez

ANKARA (AA) – Turkey's National Intelligence Organization (MIT) said on Wednesday it has captured a key plotter of the 2013 Reyhanli attack from the Syrian port city of Latakia.

According to information gathered by Anadolu Agency, the MIT brought Yusuf Nazik to Turkey with a "pinpoint operation" and began interrogation on the deadly attack that killed scores of people in southern Turkey.

Nazik, 34, who was marked in the blue category of the Interior Ministry's wanted terrorists list, confessed that on a tip off from Syrian intelligence units, he scouted the crime scene prior to the attack and moved explosives from Syria to Turkey.

He added that he procured two vehicles to move the explosives.

Nazik, who was born in Antakya city in Turkey's southern province of Hatay, confessed that he was acting on orders from Syrian intelligence units, adding: "I was not able to escape from the Turkish state," in video footage available with Anadolu Agency.

"I am calling out to my friends in Syria, turn back while there still is time. The Turkish state will protect us. I am calling out to the state of Syria, Turkish state will make you pay eventually," he added.

Nazik, during interrogation, reportedly gave out detailed information about Mihrac Ural — a terrorist responsible for the Reyhanli attack who is being sought by an Interpol red notice — and called out on other fugitive terrorists to surrender.

Turkey blames Ural for a spate of attacks in May 2013 in the town of Reyhanli in Turkey’s southern Hatay province that left 53 people dead.

The May 2013 bombings in Reyhanli district of Hatay, near the Turkish border with Syria, left 53 people dead. A total of 912 buildings, 891 workplaces and 148 vehicles were heavily damaged in the attack.

On Feb. 23, 2018, a Turkish court sentenced nine of the 33 suspects with aggravated life imprisonment and 13 others with jail time ranging from 10 to 15 years.