Kategoriler
Politika

UN welcomes release of hundreds of detainees in Yemen

By Michael Hernandez

WASHINGTON (AA) – The UN's special envoy for Yemen welcomed the release Monday of hundreds of detainees by the country's Houthi rebel forces.

“I hope this step will lead to further initiatives that will facilitate the exchange of all the conflict-related detainees," Martin Griffiths said in a statement. "I also welcome the previous steps taken by the Government of Yemen and the Arab Coalition that led to the release of Yemeni minors and supported their reintegration with their families."

The Houthis said it freed 350 captives, including three Saudis, according to the Houthi-run Al-Masirah T.V. The International Committee of the Red Cross, which facilitated the releases, said the group released 290 captives.

In December, Yemeni government representatives and Houthi rebel leaders held a round of UN-brokered talks in Stockholm which yielded a cease-fire agreement in the Red Sea port city of al-Hudaydah.

The warring parties, however, have yet to fully withdraw from the city amid tit-for-tat accusations of truce violations and sporadic clashes in other parts of the country.

Yemen has been beset by violence and chaos since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including Sanaa. The crisis escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition launched a devastating air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi territorial gains.

Since then, tens of thousands of Yemenis, including numerous civilians, are believed to have been killed in the conflict, while another 14 million are at risk of starvation, according to the UN.

Kategoriler
Alaturka

Yemen'den Stockholm Anlaşması'nın uygulanması için “bağlayıcı tarih” talebi

RİYAD (AA) – Yemen Cumhurbaşkanı Abdurabbu Mansur Hadi, Birleşmiş Milletler (BM) Yemen Özel Temsilcisi Martin Griffiths'ten Stockholm Anlaşması'nın uygulanması için bağlayıcı tarihler belirlenmesini ve anlaşmanın uygulanması önünde engel oluşturanlara baskı yapılmasını istedi.

Yemen resmi ajansı SABA'nın haberine göre, Suudi Arabistan'ın başkenti Riyad'da bir araya gelen Hadi ve Griffiths, barış imkanları ile Stockholm Anlaşması'nı görüştü.

“Anlaşmanın Hudeyde'yle ilgili kısmının uygulamaya konulması, güven inşası ve barış için ilk adımı temsil edecektir. Bu olmadan Husilerin her zamanki oyalama taktiklerinin bir faydası olmayacak. ” diyen Hadi, Stockholm Anlaşması'nın adım adım hayata geçirilebilmesi için bağlayıcı tarihler konulması ve anlaşmanın uygulanması önünde engel oluşturanlara baskı yapılması gerektiğini vurguladı.

BM Yemen Özel Temsilcisi Griffiths de Hudeyde'deki limanları boşaltıp silolara giden yolları açmaya ve Stockholm Anlaşması'nı adım adım uygulamaya çalıştıklarını söyledi.

Griffiths, bu adımlarla ilgili BM Güvenlik Konseyi'nde brifingler vereceğini söyledi.

BM Özel Temsilcisi, Riyad'a gelmeden önce Yemen'in başkenti Sana'da Husilerle görüşmeler yapmıştı.

  • Yemen hükümetinin BM'ye “ciddiyetsizlik ” suçlaması

Griffiths ve BM İnsani İşlerden Sorumlu Genel Sekreter Yardımcısı Mark Lowcock, Husilerin kontrolündeki buğday silolarına ilişkin dün ortak bir yazılı açıklama yapmıştı.

BM'nin 5 aydır erişim sağlayamadığı Hudeyde'deki buğday silolarına güvenli, serbest ve sürdürülebilir erişim izni verilmesi çağrısında bulunulan açıklamada, “Ensarullah'ın (Husiler) Hudeyde Anlaşması'nın uygulanması konusundaki taahhütlerinin teyidini kabul ediyoruz. Silolara giden yolların yeniden açılması için daha önceki zor ve tehlikeli koşullar altındaki gösterdikleri çabalarını takdir ediyoruz. ” ifadelerine yer verilmişti.

Yemen Enformasyon Bakanı Muammer el-İryani ise resmi Twitter hesabından yaptığı açıklamada, “Husilerin buğday silolarına giden yolların yeniden açılması için sarf ettiği çabalardan övgüyle söz edilmesini ” eleştirmişti.

Griffiths ve Lowcock'a Hudeyde'de anlaşmanın uygulanması konusunda Husilere karşı kesin bir tavır takınmada “ciddiyetsizlik ” suçlaması yönelten İryani, bu “manipülasyona ” Yemen hükümetinin uzun süre tahammül edemeyeceğini belirtmişti.

  • Stockholm Anlaşması

BM himayesinde İsveç'in Stockholm kentinde, 6-13 Aralık 2018'de gerçekleştirilen Yemen konulu istişare toplantıları, Yemen hükümeti ile Husilerin, ateşkes, tarafların Hudeyde'den çekilmesi ve esir ile tutukluların takas edilmesi gibi maddelerin yer aldığı bir anlaşmayla sonuçlanmıştı.

Kategoriler
Kültür Sanat

UN warns of rotting food access in Yemen

By Riyaz ul Khaliq </p> <p>ANKARA (AA) – The UN renewed its call for access to food stored at the Red Sea storage facility. </p> <p>“Food aid for millions of Yemenis is at risk of rotting in a key Red Sea storage facility because conditions are too unsafe to reach it,” UN Special Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths and Mark Lowcock, UN Emergency relief chief, said in a joint statement on Monday. </p> <p>On Friday, Lowcock said that nearly 10 million people across Yemen remained “just a step away from famine” because the large food depot — Red Sea Mills — on the outskirts of Hudaydah had been &quot;out of bounds&quot; since last September. </p> <p>“Urgency of getting to the Red Sea Mills in the key port city of Hudaydah was growing day by day,” said the UN official.</p> <p>The UN statement said that there was “enough food” to feed 3.7 million people for a month” at the food facility.</p> <p>“With safe, unfettered and sustained access, the United Nations can make this urgently needed food available to people in need,” Lowcock said.</p> <p>Ensuring access to the mills is a “shared responsibility” of the parties in the Yemen conflict, emphasized Lowcock and Griffiths emphasized in an appeal to Yemeni President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi and Houthi militia.</p> <p>Impoverished Yemen has remained wracked by violence since 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country, including capital Sanaa.

The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Sunni-Arab allies — who accuse the Shia Houthis of serving as Iranian proxies — launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

Kategoriler
Alaturka

UN envoy flies to Saudi from rebel-held Sanaa

By Mohamed al-Samei

SANAA, Yemen (AA) – UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths flew to Saudi Arabia on Tuesday after holding talks with Houthi rebels in Sanaa.

The envoy's plane left Sanaa Airport to Riyadh, a source at the airport said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

In Riyadh, Griffiths is expected to meet with Yemeni President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi and other Yemeni officials for talks about a UN-brokered ceasefire deal between the government and rebels.

On Dec. 13, Yemeni peace talks held in Sweden concluded with a ceasefire deal in the coastal al-Hudaydah province between Houthis and the Yemeni government.

However, the warring parties have failed to withdraw from the province amid accusations of breaching the agreement.

Impoverished Yemen has remained dogged by violence since 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country, including Sanaa.

Kategoriler
Alaturka

Yemen görüşmelerinin ikinci turu Ürdün'de başladı

AMMAN (AA) – Birleşmiş Milletler (BM) himayesindeki Yemen görüşmelerinin ikinci turu Ürdün'ün başkenti Amman'da başladı.

BM Yemen Özel Temsilcisi Martin Griffiths'in Sözcüsü Hannan el-Bedevi, AA muhabirine yaptığı açıklamada, 2 gün sürecek görüşmelerin, esirler dosyasını takip için oluşturulan ve Griffiths'in ofisi ile Kızılhaç'tan yetkililerin yer aldığı komitenin katılımıyla başladığını söyledi.

Griffiths'in, Yemen'e barış getirme çabalarına destek verdiği ve görüşmelere ev sahipliği yapmayı kabul ettiği için Ürdün'e teşekkür ettiğini aktaran Bedevi, teknik konuların ele alınacağı toplantının İsveç görüşmelerinden çıkan sonucun takibi çerçevesinde yapıldığını ifade etti.

Bedevi ayrıca toplantıların basına kapalı olduğunu kaydetti.

Ürdün Dışişleri Bakanlığı Sözcüsü Süfyan el-Kudat, dün yaptığı açıklamada, “Bakanlık, Birleşmiş Milletler (BM) Yemen Özel Temsilcisi Martin Griffiths'in, Yemen hükümeti ile Husiler arasında esir ve tutuklu takası anlaşması maddelerini görüşmek üzere yapılacak görüşmelerin, Ürdün'ün ev sahipliğinde gerçekleştirilmesi yönündeki talebini kabul etti. ” ifadelerini kullanmıştı.

Kategoriler
Alaturka

Yemen görüşmelerinin ikinci turu Ürdün'de yapılacak

AMMAN (AA) – Ürdün, Yemen görüşmelerinin ikinci turuna ev sahipliği yapmayı kabul ettiğini duyurdu.

Ürdün Dışişleri Bakanlığı Sözcüsü Süfyan el-Kudat, yaptığı yazılı açıklamada, “Bakanlık, Birleşmiş Milletler (BM) Yemen Özel Temsilcisi Martin Griffiths'in, Yemen hükümeti ile Husiler arasında esir ve tutuklu takası anlaşması maddelerini görüşmek üzere yapılacak görüşmelerin, Ürdün'ün ev sahipliğinde gerçekleştirilmesi yönündeki talebini kabul etti. ” ifadesini kullandı.

Ürdün'ün Yemen krizine son vermek için sarf edilen çabalar konusunda tüm imkanlarıyla kardeşlerinin yanında durduğunu belirten Kudat, siyasi bir çözüme ulaşılması gerektiğini vurguladı.

Kudat, görüşmelerin tarihine ilişkin bilgi vermedi.

Ürdün Dışişleri Bakanı Eymen es-Safadi, perşembe günü yaptığı açıklamada, BM Özel Temsilcisi Griffiths'in Yemen krizinin çözümü çerçevesinde esir takasına ilişkin oluşturulan komitenin Amman'da toplanması talebini kendilerine ilettiğini söylemişti.

Kategoriler
Alaturka

UN hails Yemen leader’s move to pay Hudaydah salaries

By Mohamed al-Samei <br>

ADEN, Yemen (AA) – UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths on Friday welcomed a decision by Yemeni President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi to pay the salaries of civil servants in Yemen’s war-weary Al-Hudaydah province.

On Thursday, Hadi ordered his government to pay the overdue salaries of government employees in Al-Hudaydah, including salaries for the month of December.

“The Special Envoy welcomes President Hadi's decision to order the payment of salaries for all civil servants in Al-Hudaydah province, ” Griffiths tweeted.

He went on to describe Hadi's decision as “an important step towards improving the economic situation and alleviating the Yemeni people’s suffering”.

Last Friday, the UN Security Council unanimously adopted a U.K.-sponsored resolution approving deployment of a UN team tasked with monitoring a ceasefire in Al-Hudaydah that went into effect earlier this month.

Home to several strategic seaports, Al-Hudaydah constitutes a lifeline for Yemen's beleaguered civilian population, with significant amounts of humanitarian aid regularly flowing through the port city.

Impoverished Yemen has remained dogged by violence and strife since 2014, when the Houthi rebel group overran much of the country, including capital Sanaa.

The following year, Saudi Arabia and several of its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains and shoring up Hadi’s embattled government.

The Saudi-led campaign in Yemen has devastated much of the country's basic infrastructure, including health and sanitation systems, prompting the UN to describe the situation as “one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times”.

Kategoriler
Politika

UN envoy calls for monitoring of Yemen ceasefire

By Michael Hernandez

WASHINGTON (AA) – The UN's Yemen envoy called on the Security Council Friday to establish a “robust monitoring regime ” to ensure a ceasefire at a vital port.

Martin Griffiths told the council that not only is it essential for the mechanism to be set up at Hodaydah “it is also urgently needed. ”

“At the instruction of the Secretary General relevant departments in New York and elsewhere are already active on the planning for urgent deployment subject to the decisions of this Council, ” he said.

The warring parties have both agreed it would be welcome, and have asked it be implemented, he said adding that it should be in force “within days. “

“Allowing the UN the lead role in the ports is the vital first step, ” said Griffiths.

Yemen's Houthi rebels and the internationally-recognized government agreed on the ceasefire on Thursday amid ongoing peace talks to end Yemen's devastating conflict.

The UN-brokered talks had begun in the Swedish capital, Stockholm, on Dec. 6 in an effort to end the 4-year military conflict in Yemen.

Saudi Arabia has been leading a coalition of countries against the Houthis since 2015 when Riyadh and its Sunni-Arab allies launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains that began the year prior.

The Saudi-led campaign in Yemen has devastated the country's infrastructure, including its health and sanitation systems, prompting the UN to describe it as one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times.

*Betul Yuruk contributed to this report from the United Nations

Kategoriler
Alaturka

Kuwait ready to host signing of Yemen peace deal

By Safiye Karabacak</p> <p>KUWAIT (AA) – Kuwaiti Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Hamad al-Sabah said Wednesday his country is ready to host the signing ceremony for an agreement on ending the war in Yemen if the parties involved reach a consensus.</p> <p>Al-Sabah made the remarks during a joint press conference with his Austrian counterpart Karin Kneissl.</p> <p>&quot;We are ready to stand next to our Yemeni brothers when they think they are ready to end the war, reach peace and sign the [peace] agreement, which we hope Kuwait will host,&quot; he said. </p> <p>&quot;We don't believe that there is any alternative other than a political solution to end the Yemeni crisis,&quot; he added, noting that Kuwait had hosted talks on Yemen two years ago.</p> <p>Kneissl said dialogue was the only option to resolve the Yemeni war.</p> <p>UN-brokered peace talks on Yemen kicked off Dec. 6 in Sweden's capital, Stockholm.</p> <p>In negotiations led by UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths, the Yemeni government and Houthi rebels tackled disputed issues, including the release of prisoners, the battle over Hudaydah, the Yemeni Central Bank, the blockade of Taiz, humanitarian relief and Sana'a airport.

Progress was made on the issue of prisoners. The delegations are expected to leave Sweden on Thursday.

– Previous peace efforts

Talks between Yemen’s warring parties in the Swiss cities of Biel and Geneva in 2015 and in Kuwait in 2016 ended in failure.

UN-sponsored peace talks scheduled to be held on Sept. 6 in Geneva also fell through as the Houthis did not take part.

Impoverished Yemen has remained wracked by violence since 2014, when Shia Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including the capital, Sanaa, and the key port city of Hudaydah.

The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Sunni-Arab allies launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

The violence has devastated Yemen’s infrastructure, including its health and sanitation systems, prompting the UN to describe the situation as one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times.

*Ali Murat Alhas contributed to this story from Ankara

Kategoriler
Alaturka

UN-brokered Yemen peace talks kick off in Sweden

By Bayram Altug and Atila Altuntas

RIMBO, Sweden (AA) – UN-backed peace talks between the Yemeni government and Houthi rebels kicked off Thursday in Sweden.

Swedish Foreign Affairs Minister Margot Wallstrom and UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths also attended the meeting at Johannesburg Castle in Rimbo, Stockholm.

Wallstrom called on both sides to reconcile and end the four-year conflict.

Griffiths said the parties have agreed to exchange prisoners in the first phase of confidence-building steps.

The meetings are expected to last about 10 days.

Griffiths will carry out shuttle diplomacy between the parties who will not meet each other directly.

Yemen has been wracked by violence since 2014, when the Houthi rebels overran much of the country and the crisis escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led coalition launched a devastating air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

Saudi Arabia and Sunni allies accuse the Houthis of acting as a proxy force for Shia Iran.

Tens of thousands of people, including civilians, are believed to have been killed and the UN estimates that around 14 million Yemenis are at risk of famine.