At least 27 Houthis killed in clashes with Yemeni army

            By Gulsen Topcu</p>  <p>ANKARA (AA) - At least 27 Houthi rebels were killed in clashes with the Yemeni army in southeastern Al-Bayda province, local media reported Thursday.</p>  <p>National army forces backed by popular resistance groups launched an operation after Houthis attempted to carry out an attack in Az Zahir district, according to the Ministry of Defense’s official website September Net.</p>  <p>The website didn’t provide information on the number of injured.</p>  <p>The Houthi militia announced Thursday that they had released 15 captives, according to SABA News Agency.</p>  <p>Al-Bayda Governor Ali Mohammad Al Mansouri said the release was carried out “to strengthen the values ​​of love and tolerance”.</p>  <p>Yemen has been wracked by violence since 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country, including the capital, Sanaa.</p>  <p>The crisis escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.</p>  <p>The ongoing conflict has wrecked much of the impoverished country’s basic infrastructure, prompting the UN to describe the situation there as “one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times”.</p>  <p>*Writing by Erdogan Cagatay Zontur</p>  <p> 

At least 35 Houthis killed in clashes with Yemeni army

            By Jeyhun Aliyev</p>  <p>ANKARA (AA) - At least 35 Houthis were killed in clashes with the Yemeni army Tuesday in Qataba district of Al-Dhalea province, according to the Ministry of Defense’s official website September Net.</p>  <p>National army forces backed by popular resistance groups launched an attack on positions of the Houthi militia in the areas of Hamrat and Watta Al-Wa’al, it said.</p>  <p>At least 15 others were wounded during the clashes, the source said, adding the soldiers destroyed and confiscated some military vehicles and ammunition of the Houthis.</p>  <p>Yemen has been wracked by violence since 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country, including the capital Sanaa.</p>  <p>The crisis escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains. </p>  <p>The ongoing conflict has wrecked much of the impoverished country’s basic infrastructure, prompting the UN to describe the situation there as “one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times”.</p>  <p> 

Yemen: Houthis mark 4 years of Saudi-led campaign

By Mohamed al-Samei

SANAA (AA) – Thousands of Houthis on Tuesday gathered in the capital Sanaa to mark the fourth anniversary of a Saudi-led military campaign in Yemen.

The crowds gathered in central Sanaa raised photos of those slain in the conflict.

"The operations of the coalition aim at occupying Yemen and plundering its wealth," Sultan al-Samei, a leading Houthi member, told the rally.

He went on to warn that the "fifth year [of the coalition's campaign] would bring hell to the enemies".

Yemen has been wracked by chaos since 2014, when the Houthi rebel group overran much of the country, including Sanaa.

The crisis escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition launched a devastating air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

Since then, thousands of people — including numerous civilians — are believed to have been killed in the conflict, while the UN has repeatedly warned that some 14 million Yemenis remain at risk of famine.

Writing by Mahmoud Bakarat

UN envoy departs Yemen after three-day visit

            <p>By Mohamed al-Samei</p>    <p>SANAA (AA) - UN envoy Martin Griffiths left Sanaa on Thursday following a three-day visit to Yemen during which he held intensive talks with Houthi rebel leaders. </p>    <p>“Griffiths left the country without issuing any press statements,” a source at Sanaa International Airport told Anadolu Agency. </p>    <p>The source, who asked not to be named as he was not authorized to speak to the media, said the UN envoy had departed Yemen for the Jordanian capital, where his office is located.</p>    <p>Griffiths arrived in Sanaa on Tuesday to speak with Houthi leaders about implementation of a UN-backed ceasefire in Yemen’s coastal Al-Hudaydah province. </p>    <p>While in Yemen, Griffiths also met with Denmark’s Michael Lollesgaard, head of a UN observer force based in Al-Hudaydah.</p>    <p>In December, the Houthis and Yemen’s Saudi-backed government agreed to withdraw all their fighters from the coastal province by Jan. 7. </p>    <p>Although the deadline was missed, Griffiths has said the warring parties both remain “committed” to implementing the agreement’s terms. </p>    <p>Yemen has been beset by violence and chaos since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including Sanaa. </p>    <p>The crisis escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition launched a devastating air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi territorial gains. </p>    <p>Since then, thousands of Yemenis, including numerous civilians, are believed to have been killed in the conflict.</p> 

UN envoy arrives in Yemen for talks on Hudaydah plan

By Murad al-Arifi

SANAA, Yemen (AA) – UN peace envoy Martin Griffiths arrived in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, on Tuesday for talks with Houthi rebels on the implementation of a UN plan for troops redeployment in the coastal city of Al-Hudaydah.

Griffiths arrived aboard a UN plane from the Jordanian capital Amman, a source at the Sanaa Airport said.

The UN envoy has been conducting shuttle diplomacy in the region in an effort to implement a plan for a partial pullout of forces from Al-Hudaydah.

In December, Houthi rebels and the Saudi-backed Yemeni government agreed to withdraw troops from the coastal city by Jan. 7.

While the efforts had been delayed and deadlines missed, Griffiths said the warring parties were showing a commitment to follow through on their agreement.

Yemen has been beset by violence and chaos since 2014, when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including Sanaa.

The crisis escalated in 2015 when a Saudi-led military coalition launched a devastating air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi territorial gains.

Since then, tens of thousands of Yemenis, including numerous civilians, are believed to have been killed in the conflict, while another 14 million are now at risk of starvation, according to the UN.

The agreement would allow significant amounts of humanitarian access into the region, which has faced some of the worst damage in the four-year-long war.

Bomb attack in northwestern Yemen kills 12

               By Gulsen Topcu </p>    <p>SADAH, Yemen (AA) – A bomb blast killed 12 people and injured 50 others in northwestern Yemen, a military official said late Sunday.</p>  <p>The Houthi rebel group attacked a local bazaar while government soldiers were shopping, said a military official who asked not to be named due to restrictions on speaking to the media. </p>  <p>The source said some of the injured are in critical conditions and the death toll might increase.

Houthis’ TV channel Al-Masirah said the attack caused many casualties among government forces.

Impoverished Yemen has remained wracked by violence since 2014, when Shia Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including the capital Sanaa.

The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Sunni-Arab allies launched a devastating air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

The ongoing violence has destroyed much of Yemen’s infrastructure, including water and sanitation systems, prompting the UN to describe the situation as one of “the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times”.

Partial pullout from Yemen's Hudaydah delayed: Houthis

By Murad Erifi

SANAA (AA) – A partial withdrawal of forces from Yemen's coastal city of Al-Hudaydah has been postponed until Monday, a Houthi rebel source said.

The source, who preferred anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to media, told Anadolu Agency that the withdrawal was scheduled to take place on Sunday.

The source attributed the delay to "Yemeni government's disavowal of agreements".

For its part, the Houthi-run Al-Masirah television said the decision comes "as a result of delayed approval by representatives of the Riyadh delegation" in reference to the Saudi-backed Yemeni government.

Yemeni government sources refused to comment on the decision to Anadolu Agency.

Last week, the Houthis agreed to a proposal by the UN for mutual redeployment of forces in Al-Hudaydah city in its strategic ports.

The Yemeni government, for its part, conditionally agreed to the troop redeployment plan.

On December 13, Yemeni peace talks held in Sweden concluded with a ceasefire deal in Al-Hudaydah between Houthis and the Yemeni government.

The warring parties, however, have failed to withdraw from the city amid accusations of breaching the agreement.

Yemen has been wracked by violence since 2014 when the Shia Houthi group overran much of the country. The crisis escalated in 2015 when the Saudi-led coalition launched a devastating air campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.

UPDATE – Bill to end support for Yemen war clears US House

            ADDS DETAILS THROUGHOUT</p>  <p>By Michael Hernandez</p>  <p>WASHINGTON (AA) – The House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed legislation Wednesday that would require President Donald Trump to halt U.S. assistance for the Saudi-led coalition's war in Yemen. </p>  <p>The bill will now head to the Senate for consideration following the 248-177 vote. </p>  <p>&quot;Today is historic. This is the culmination of several years of legislative efforts to end our involvement in the Saudi war in Yemen,&quot; Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna, who spearheaded the bill, said in a statement after the vote.</p>  <p>&quot;I’m encouraged by the direction people are pushing our party to take on foreign policy, promoting restraint and human rights and with the sense they want Congress to play a much larger role,&quot; he added. </p>  <p>If the War Powers Resolution -- in part a response to Saudi Arabia's killing of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi -- is able to clear the Senate, it will head to Trump's desk, where it will likely be vetoed. The White House has previously threatened the measure. </p>  <p>Regardless, if it clears the Senate, it would mark the first time federal lawmakers checked a president's authority to use military force under a 1973 bill intended to allow Congress to do so if a president committed forces without a formal declaration of war.</p>  <p>A measure similar to the one that cleared the House Wednesday had passed the Republican-held Senate 56 to 41 in December. </p>  <p>It failed to clear the legislature last year when the then-Republican House leadership blocked it from progressing. The chamber has since switched hands, allowing for the revamped measure to clear the House.</p>  <p>If Trump does issue a veto of the legislation, it would be the first time he has done so in his presidency. </p>  <p>While Khashoggi's death certainly plays a role in the bill's congressional momentum, so too does Yemen's spiraling humanitarian catastrophe.</p>  <p>Saudi Arabia has been leading a coalition of countries against Yemen's Houthi rebels since 2015, when Riyadh and its Sunni-Arab allies launched a massive air campaign in Yemen aimed at rolling back Houthi gains that began the year prior. </p>  <p>The Saudi-led campaign in Yemen has devastated the country's infrastructure, including its health and sanitation systems, prompting the UN to describe it as one of the worst humanitarian disasters of modern times.</p>  <p> 

UN envoy flies to Saudi from rebel-held Sanaa

By Mohamed al-Samei

SANAA, Yemen (AA) – UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths flew to Saudi Arabia on Tuesday after holding talks with Houthi rebels in Sanaa.

The envoy's plane left Sanaa Airport to Riyadh, a source at the airport said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

In Riyadh, Griffiths is expected to meet with Yemeni President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi and other Yemeni officials for talks about a UN-brokered ceasefire deal between the government and rebels.

On Dec. 13, Yemeni peace talks held in Sweden concluded with a ceasefire deal in the coastal al-Hudaydah province between Houthis and the Yemeni government.

However, the warring parties have failed to withdraw from the province amid accusations of breaching the agreement.

Impoverished Yemen has remained dogged by violence since 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country, including Sanaa.

Yemen: UN envoy arrives in rebel-held Sanaa for talks

By Mohamed al-Samei

SANAA, Yemen (AA) – UN peace envoy Martin Griffiths and head of UN observer mission Michael Lollesgaard arrived in the Yemeni capital Sanaa on Monday.

Griffiths will hold talks with Houthi rebels on ways of implementing a UN-brokered ceasefire in the coastal province of Al-Hudaydah, said a local source on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on speaking to the media.

The UN envoy will also meet with Lollesgaard, who arrived in the rebel-held capital from the southern city of Aden, the source said.

On December 13, Yemeni peace talks held in Sweden concluded with a ceasefire deal in Al-Hudaydah between Houthis and the Yemeni government.

However, the warring parties have failed to withdraw from the province amid accusations of breaching the agreement.

Impoverished Yemen has remained dogged by violence since 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country, including Sanaa.