UN announces $50M in relief efforts for Indonesia

By Dildar Baykan

WASHINGTON (AA) – The UN on Friday announced a $50 million response plan for disaster relief efforts in Indonesia.

For the next three months, the UN will work with the Indonesian government to provide technical assistance to help 191,000 victims in the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami that wreaked havoc in the country.

The plan was announced by Stephen Dujarric, spokesman for the UN Secretary-General, during a news briefing.

On Sept. 28, a powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck Sulawesi Island that triggered a tsunami, towering up to 10 feet (3 meters) high, shaking the island.

The National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) estimates the death toll at 1,571, while the UN estimates more than 2,500 injuries, according to Dujarric.

Earlier this week, the UN said it was allocating $15 million to assist victims in the aftermath.

However, the plan published by the UN is a more concrete effort to support the government in coordinating relief efforts and distributing humanitarian aid.

The UN Resident Coordinator in Indonesia Anita Nirody noted some areas, such as Palu and Donggala, are cut off because of landslides and infrastructure damage, which has created access and transport problems for relief efforts.

Nirody said the new plan "provide[s], not only immediate relief items, but also the logistical support needed to provide aid to those in need."

*Umar Farooq contributed to this story.

Advertisements

ALATURKA AİLESİ ÜYELERİ NE DİYOR?