By Zuhal Demirci
ANKARA (AA) – Turkey on Tuesday “strongly condemned” a suicide blast in eastern Afghanistan, which killed at least 19 people and left over 50 others wounded.
In a statement, Turkish Foreign Ministry said: “We learned with sorrow that terrorist attack that targeted a demonstration in Nangarhar province resulted in loss of lives and many injuries.”
“We strongly condemn this terrorist attack,” the the statement said.
“We wish Allah’s mercy upon those who lost their lives, speedy recovery to the wounded, and convey our condolences to the friendly Government and the brotherly people of Afghanistan,” it added.
Earlier on Tuesday, Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, told Anadolu Agency the suicide attack took place on the main Torkham highway in Momand Dara district close to the crossing point with Pakistan.
He said the locals had gathered for a demonstration when the lone attacker detonated his explosives.
The local Salam Afghanistan radio reported that the residents of the Daka region were protesting against the local pro-government militia commander when the attack took place.
There has been no immediate claim of responsibility, however, the region is among the strongest bastions of the pro-Daesh militants in the country.