Jordan denies reopening border crossing with Syria

By Laith Joneidi

AMMAN (AA) – The Jordanian government on Saturday denied reports about reopening a border crossing between Jordan and war-torn Syria.

“The Nasib-Jaber border crossing is still closed and has not been opened to the movement of goods or passengers,” government spokesperson Jumana Ghunaimat said in a statement.

“Technical meetings to open the border are still underway,” she said, adding that the reopening of the terminal “requires the availability of infrastructure as well as logistics and technical measures.”

Earlier Saturday, the official Syrian news agency SANA said the border crossing had been opened before replacing the news story with a report saying that preparations have been made to open the border crossing on October 10.

The Syrian regime, backed by Russia and Iran-affiliate militias, has recently taken control of the two border crossings with Jordan after fierce battles with Syrian opposition groups that had controlled the border for the past three years.

Advertisements

ALATURKA AİLESİ ÜYELERİ NE DİYOR?