NABLUS, Palestine (AA) – The Israeli army on Wednesday demolished the home of a Palestinian accused of killing two Israelis in a shooting attack in the West Bank last month.
Israeli bulldozers brought down the home of Omar Abu Laila in the town of al-Zawiya near Nablus, according to local residents.
Clashes erupted during the demolition as angry residents attempted to prevent the forces from razing the structure.
Two Palestinians were reportedly injured during the violence.
Israeli authorities accuse Abu Laila of carrying out a shooting and stabbing attack in the West Bank last month, in which two Israelis were killed.
Abu Laila was shot dead by Israeli forces in a raid near the city of Ramallah late March.
The Israeli army uses the emergency law of the British Mandate in 1945 to demolish Palestinian homes whose owners are accused of carrying out attacks against Israelis.
Israel’s top court usually rejects Palestinians' appeals against the demolition of their homes.
Meanwhile, two dozen Palestinians were injured in clashes with Israeli forces during a visit by Jewish settlers to a local shrine in Nablus.
“Around 600 settlers stormed the Joseph’s shrine, where they performed rituals under the protection of Israeli forces,” Palestinian activist Ahmed Shamekh said.
He said Israeli forces fired rubber bullets and tear gas canisters to disperse angry Palestinians, who gathered to protest the settlers’ tour.
According to the Palestinian Red Crescent, at least 22 Palestinians were injured, including several minors.
Joseph's Tomb has long been a flashpoint for potential violence. Jews believe the site to be the burial place of the biblical patriarch Joseph. Muslims, however, challenge this claim, saying an Islamic cleric – Sheikh Yussef Dawiqat – was buried at the site two centuries ago.