European media criticize S.Arabia's lack of cooperation

BERLIN (AA) – European media coverage of Turkish prosecutors’ statement that journalist Jamal Khashoggi was strangled as soon as he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, and that his body was later dismembered, was largely critical of Saudi officials, and especially their refusal to cooperate with the Turkish investigation.

French daily Le Figaro covered the statements of Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor Irfan Fidan, saying in a headline: "Turkish prosecutor said Jamal Khashoggi was strangled and then dismembered."

The paper reported that Khashoggi had been critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in his writings and was killed once he entered the consulate.

French daily Le Monde said this was the first time a Turkish official had made a statement about the Khashoggi killing.

Le Monde said uncertainties about the case remain, such as who ordered the killing and where Khashoggi’s body is.

It added that Turkish officials have been seeking answers from Saudi authorities.

Newsweekly Le Point said on its website, "Turkish prosecutor unveils sordid details of Khashoggi murder."

Le Point reported that prosecutors revealed fresh details about the killing hours after the departure of the Saudi attorney general.

Le Point also said no progress had been made on identifying who ordered the killing or the whereabouts of Khashoggi's body.

– The Netherlands

"Jamal Khashoggi was strangled right after he entered the Saudi Consulate," said Dutch public broadcaster NOS.

NOS said the statement by Turkish officials was the first such statement since the killing of the Saudi journalist.

De Volkskrant daily said in a headline that Khashoggi was quickly strangled.

It reported that the Istanbul chief public prosecutor called the murder premeditated.

NRC daily also said that Khashoggi was killed right after he arrived at the consulate.

– Switzerland

Well-known Swiss daily Blick cited Anadolu Agency reporting on Wednesday's statement by Istanbul prosecutors.

In the story, Blick said Khashoggi was strangled to death when he entered the consulate, and his body was dismembered — both premeditated acts, it said.

Turkey requested that Saudi Arabia extradite 18 suspects in this murder but Riyadh refused, said the daily.

– The Balkans

In Bosnia and Herzegovina, under the headline “Khashoggi was strangled as soon as he entered the consulate,” Oslobodjenje daily reported that the body of the slain journalist was taken to an unknown place.

Citing the Turkish prosecutor’s statement, the article stressed the lack of cooperation between Turkish and Saudi authorities on the case.

Serbian daily Kurir reported, “Turkish prosecutor shared terrible details about Khashoggi,” saying that the Saudi journalist was not interrogated but strangled to death as soon as he entered the consulate.

Croatian daily Jutarnji List wrote that Khashoggi’s body was still missing, citing the Turkish prosecutor’s statement.

– Hungary

Hungary’s leading newspaper Nepszava also cited the prosecutor’s statement under the headline “Saudi journalist strangled as soon as he stepped into the consulate.”

The article stressed the detailed statement of Istanbul's chief public prosecutor, stating that Saudi Arabia's top prosecutor paid a three-day visit to Turkey for the investigation.

It also reported that Turkish authorities asked Saudi authorities where Khashoggi’s body is and to identify a reported “local collaborator,” adding that Saudi authorities did not respond despite their promises to do so.

– Austria

Austrian state television ORF also ran a headline saying “Khashoggi strangled immediately at the consulate.”

Citing Anadolu Agency, the daily said the killing of the Saudi journalist was “planned beforehand.”

While the paper said Khashoggi’s body was dismembered, it added that the Turkish prosecutor’s statements on the killing contrasted with the initial statements by Saudi authorities.

Leading Austrian daily Der Standard used the headline, “Khashoggi was strangled, his body dismembered.”

The article said that Khashoggi’s body was dismembered and the murder planned beforehand.

It added that despite Turkey’s efforts, Saudi authorities refused to cooperate in the investigation.

– Bulgaria

Bulgarian daily 24 Chasa wrote that Khashoggi was strangled to death immediately after entering the consulate.

The article said that although the killing caused a deep international political crisis, the violence and killing in Yemen led by Saudi Arabia will continue, referring to Yemen's devastating civil war.

According to the news website News.bg, talks in Istanbul with the Saudi attorney general yielded no results.

– Spain

El Mundo cited the Turkish prosecutor's office as saying a 15-man hit squad from Saudi Arabia killed Saudi journalist Khashoggi with premeditation.

A statement by the office verified most of the leaked information from the beginning of the case, including that the process of killing the journalist took seven minutes, said the paper.

The daily said the dismemberment of Khashoggi's body was confirmed by the statement, adding that consulate officials were not involved in the process.

The daily said the ball is in Saudi Arabia's court, citing Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan calling the killing "savage" and "political."

El Pais cited the Turkish prosecutor's statement as saying that Khashoggi was killed right after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

El Pais stressed Turkish requests to Saudi prosecutors for the extradition of 18 suspects currently detained in Saudi Arabia, as well as requests for testimonies, Khashoggi’s body, and the identity of the “local collaborator” in Turkey. But in the end the Saudi side only responded that "they never claimed the existence of a local collaborator," said the paper.

The daily also cited Erdogan asking Riyadh to disclose who exactly ordered Khashoggi killed, calling Khashoggi a self-exiled journalist for his criticism of Saudi Arabia’s king and crown prince.

-'With premeditation'

Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist and columnist for The Washington Post, went missing after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

After initially saying he had left the consulate alive, the Saudi administration admitted weeks later he had died there.

The international community refused to accept the Saudi claim that the incident was not a premeditated murder.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has stressed that all details of the case should be revealed, including who gave the instruction for the “premeditated murder.”

Khashoggi's body was disposed of after being dismembered, the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office said on Wednesday.

"Victim Jamal Khashoggi was strangled to death — with premeditation — soon after he entered the Istanbul Consulate of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on Oct. 2, 2018 for wedding procedures. His body was disposed of after being dismembered following his death by suffocation — again, in line with plans," the prosecutor's office said in a statement.

Advertisements

ALATURKA AİLESİ ÜYELERİ NE DİYOR?